17/04/2017 Leave a comment
Each year I have the great pleasure to be able to help support various projects and community groups across Row Heath with my Suffolk County Council Locality Budget and in Lakenheath village with my Forest Heath District Council budget.
With both I try to work with community groups to build the capacity of our communities to get things done for themselves and support the network of groups who great volunteers’ commitment significant time to make them a success.
Wherever I go and whenever I speak about Local Government I speak of the great community sprint that existing in my Division and my home village, and how this impacts the lives of residents as much formal services provided by Councils.
For me this is more than just words, as I have in the past sat on the Think Local Act Personal National Board and represented Local Government on its Building Community Capacity Subgroup, which worked to share what community capacity is all about and how to enhance it. I instigated the Suffolk County Council programme called Supporting Lives and Connecting Communities which at its heart is about understanding how communities are able to do things for themselves and how SCC can support them better. Councillor locality budgets should be a integral part of that stratergy and I work for mine to be.
Here is a list of those groups I have supported in the past year. In the majority of cases my locality funding has been matched funding with the groups own fund raising efforts.
- Lakenheath Parish Council – matched funding for Speed Indicator device – £1,890.00
- Cavenham Parish Committee – Post for play equipment – £320.00
In the past year I have been able to provide funding to the following groups:
- Friends of Lakenheath Library – Let’s Read Campaign – purchase of IT equipment – £247.50
- Lakenheath Community Speedwatch – Purchase of speedwatch equipment – £400.00
- Lakenheath Silver Band – Community Event – £350.00
- Brendan Fulham Centre – Assistance with disabled adaptations – £1,300.00
- Lakenheath Sunshine Corner – Toy Bank – £300.00
- West Row School PFA – Folding tables, cool boxes, etc for garden party event -£250.00
- Bury St. Edmunds Scout District – Scoutfest 2016 – £2,000.00
- West Row Primary School PFA – Static bus to be used as a library and learning resource by the school and community (Committed 2015-2016) – £5,000.00
- West Row The Shed Wellbeing project – £350.00.00
- Cancer Campaign in Suffolk – Sun Awareness Programme for Schools – £1,280.00
- West Row Village Hall & Playing Fields Association – Renovation of the Tennis courts – £3,000.00
- Lakenheath Angling Club – Otter-proof fencing around club waters – £1,000.00
- Lakenheath Cricket Club – Contribution to new Roller – £1,500.00
- Rural Coffee Caravan – Contribution to new Vehicle – £1,000.00
- Beck Row Methodist Church contribution towards heating in the Church Hall – £500.00
- West Row Village Hall and Playing Field Association a contribution towards the new kitchen equipment – £2,000.00
- Beck Row Parish Council with a contribution towards outdoor exercise equipment – £2,000.00
- Friends of Beck Row Primary School with a contribution towards outdoor playground equipment – £4,500.00
- Newmarket Town Band contribution towards charity concert – £200.00